Open Judgeship Draws Five Candidates
The announced retirement of District Judge Kay Bates led to a host of candidates seeking her post. Four Republicans and one Democrat qualified to run in the Tuesday, Nov. 4 primary election. A runoff if necessary will be Saturday, Dec. 6.
The district includes the north part of East Baton Rouge Parish, including Baker, Zachary, and Central. The candidates are:
• Clarence Coons, Democrat, has taught at the Southern University Law School since 1989. He is an associate professor of law.
• Republican Mike Davis is an Army National Guard veteran with 15 years experience engaged in the general practice of law. He resides in Central.
• Republican Beau Higginbotham served for 11 years as an assistant District Attorney and prosecuted all felonies and misdemeanors.
• Republican Chris Oetjens has practiced both civil and criminal law since 2001. He is also an Emergency Medical Technician.
• Republican Jamie Morain Zanovec grew up in Central and has practiced law in 15 parishes before 30 different judges. She says she shares the values of the people of Central.