Ceremonies at Old State Capitol
The East Baton Rouge Parish Republican Women’s Club held the first Red Pelican Award ceremonies at the Old State Capitol on Oct. 22.
Five Republicans were presented the Red Pelican Award for their service. The award winners were:
• Lt. Gov. Jay Dardenne for serving as the state’s ambassador for tourism
• Secretary of State Tom Schedler for innovation in state and national elections
• Clerk of Court Doug Welborn for parish elections efficiency
• Ascension Parish Republican chairman Kathryn Goppelt for conservative community advocacy
• Woody Jenkins, editor of City News, for conservative media
More than 300 guests attended the event, which included a reception, food, entertainment, a silent auction, videos on each of the honorees, and a ceremony in the old House Chamber. Conducting the ceremonies were Jeannene Kogler and Peggy Vidrine of the EBR Parish Republican Women’s Club.
Before each honoree spoke, the audience viewed a video about the person’s life and accomplishments.
Lt. Gov. Dardenne recalled that the chamber had been the locale of numerous historic events, including secession convention and the impeachment of Gov. Huey P. Long.